Friday 26 October 2012

Recipe To Riches: Episode One

I am a Food Network fiend.

Its the not the network itself I'm in love but food overall.
Nom Nom Nom!

Food Network has a show called Recipe To Riches which is
" a new competitive reality series where each week, Canadian home cooks
battle to have their original recipes become a President’s Choice product, win
$25,000 and become eligible for a grand prize of $250,000."

It's an absolutely brilliant marketing idea as well as entertaining in itself.
I love seeing what ordinary people come up with and its neat to learn about
the day to day lives of my fellow Canadians. We sure are an interesting bunch!

I missed most of it last year but this year decided I would make it a point to
watch every week. My reward? I'd also get to treat myself to the winning recipe..
every week,yay! That will ensure I keep watching, ha ha.

Episode 1 was Cakes,Puddings and Pies and the winner was Jason Keary of
Nerepis NB. He made Honey Cheese Pastries-they are in the store as Cheesy
Bees Nests- and that's what we tried last night!


Here they are. You bake them from frozen. They are cheesy bites topped with a
mixed berry fruit and...mozzarella cheese! inside phyllo pastry cups.





Here's what they look like baked:



As you can see they are just tiny little bites. I can't remember how much they
cost but we didn't feel ripped off by what we got. They come twelve in a
package.

The flavour was very good! Creamy smooth cheese filling, tart and sweet fruit
and the mozza cheese on top was most excellent. It added a bit of salt that really
complimented the other ingredients.

The only minus was the phyllo cups. They were not crisp all the way through
and really lost their shape while baking. You can see how they look sloppy.
It did not take away from the taste though and every family member enjoyed
these sweet treats and would eat them again.

If you don't wish to buy these little guys,-available at Superstore and the like-
the recipes are up above on the link entitled Cakes, Puddings and Pies. Not only
can you try these yourself from scratch but you can make the two other recipes
as well!

Which is what I'll be doing with episode 2 but that's another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment