Thursday 25 October 2012

Use It Til It Falls Apart

and then re purpose it for something new again!

That's the motto in this house.

I get extreme satisfaction out of this practise, it
appeals to both my practical and creative nature.
Plus, I feel smugly awesome for preventing one
more item from going into the landfill!

We had an old comforter that'd been laying around
the basement floor for some time. The pets had taken
to lying on it, as pets do, so I thought "A-ha. Pet Bed!"

I folded the comforter in half the long way and then
cut it in half, across horizontally.

I was left with two squares of folded comforter.

I folded each square in half and then half again the
other way until I was left with a smaller square.

Using left over yarn I stitched all the edges together all
the way around.



I wasn't careful about doing any of this as you can
see. My method? Quick and Dirty.

I didn't want to see that ugly pattern anywhere in my house
so I rigged up a cover for it out of material I'd found at
a thrift store awhile back.

I say rigged up because I didn't even measure the material,
just folded it in half, then approximated the basic size I
needed, cut it off and sewed it together. It's basically a sloppy
pillowcase.

The finished product!

Not bad at all, and perfectly serviceable.
Sure it might not be the prettiest thing in the world but
pretty was not what I was going for. Really, I just wanted
to get that damn comforter off my floor!



2 comments:

  1. I bet the pets love it!

    This weekend I will be going out to search for an inner cushion so that I can sew a pillow case for it. My boyfriend requested a cushion of his own so he doesn't have to keep stealing mine. I will have to sew it all by hand so it may take a while and not look as neat as I might hope, but there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a sewing machine..but..eh, I sew all by hand too:) I figure with all this practice I'll surely get better right? Besides, your hand sewing is so much more personal!

    ReplyDelete